VPI Classic Turntables & Comparison Guide
This site is dedicated to the review of VPI Industries products, turntable reviews and other popular high-end turntables. We are in no way affiliated with or sponsored by VPI Industries. All VPI Industries products are of their copyright. As you will see in our reviews VPI Industries makes some of the best turntables on the planet.
VPI Industries, makers of the popular VPI Classic turntables & Scout turntable line, was started in 1978 by Sheila and Harry Weisfeld. Their first product was a record weight that came in two different sizes before introducing a turntable isolation base later in December of 1978.
Over time VPI has expanded into a well known Cliffwood, New Jersey based company producing turntables, tonearms and record cleaning machines using American parts and labor. Currently the company is producing a special 30th anniversary “Classic” Turntable. It provides the correct mechanical elements that come standard with the VPI brand however at an economical price.
|VPI Classic 3 Turntable with JMW-Classic 3 Tonearm in Piano Black||20 1/2" x 15 1/2" x 10" Footprint: 10 1/4" x 14 1/4"||2"||20 pounds||70 pounds||JMW-Classic 3 damped stainless steel||2.5" thick MDF block with 11 guage steel|
|VPI Classic 3 Turntable with JMW-Classic 3 Tonearm in Walnut||20 1/2" x 15 1/2" x 10" Footprint: 10 1/4" x 14 1/4"||2"||20 pounds||70 pounds||JMW-Classic 3 damped stainless steel||2.5" thick MDF block with 11 guage steel|
|VPI Scout II Turntable with JMW-9 Tonearm||19" x 14" x 8"|
Footprint: 16 1/2" x 11 1/2"
|1 7/8"||20 pounds||40 pounds||JMW-9||1 1/8" thick MDF bonded to 12 guage steel plate|
|19" x 15|
Footprint: 16 1/2" x 12"
|NA||7 pounds||24 pounds||Gimbaled||3/16" Thick aluminum|
The premise of VPI’s turntable product line is to reproduce the dynamics of live music in one’s home. A percentage of every tonearm that is sold is put into the “Jonathan Weisfeld Memorial Fund” that contributes to further Arts and Music. Jonathan was Harry & Sheila’s son who was killed in 1995 in a car accident with two other boys while a Junior in high school. Jonathan worked in his parent’s factory and was assisting his father design a new tonearm that would become the “JMW Memorial Tonearm”.
VPI has an expansive line of turntables (ranging from $1,800 to $13,000) that include:
The VPI Travelers Series
- The VPI Traveler
The VPI Classic Series
- VPI Classic 4 Turntable – From the design of the Classic 3 it’s a little larger and adds the HR-X 12.7 arm as the primary and the Classic 3 arm as a secondary.
- VPI Classic 3 Turntable – State of the art turntable design, the Classic 3 is in VPI’s words “The best turntable we have ever made”. Features the highest quality sound and performance.
- VPI Classic 2 Turntable – All the qualities of the Classic 1 including micrometer adjusting “VTA on the fly” base.
- VPI Classic 1 Turntable – Comes standard with the unipivot JMW-Classic 1 tonearm Special Edition in rigid mount mode in beautiful black oak or walnut finish.
VPI Scout Series Turntable
- VPI Scout 1.1 Turntable – The most economically priced turntable in the STEROPHILE’s Class “B”. It is attainted high performance records worldwide and is the best reviewed turntable.
- VPI Scout II Turntable – Redesigned in 2009, the Scout II comes standard with the JMW 9T tonearm. It provides a full, rich and deeper bass sound.
- VPI Scoutmaster II Turntable – Combining key features from VPI’s most successful turntables, the Scoutmaster II uses the Aries 3 platter and inverted bearing.
VPI Aries Series Turntable
- VPI Aries 3 Turntable – Near HR-X performance in a smaller form size. Incorporates a inverted bearing. The platter spins on a Teflon/Delrin thrust plate for very low noise.
VPI HR-X Turntable
- The most economically priced and best selling high end turntable in the world. It truly makes you feel like you’re listening to live music. Combined with low noise, pace and timing with the appreciation of world class detail.
As you can see VPI turntables has a model to fit any passionate music lover’s desire. Known around the world for the quality of their products be sure to check the turntable reviews out when investing in your next turntable.